Thursday, November 3, 2011

"A Red-Tainted Silence"

A Review - "A Red-Tainted Silence" by Carolyn Gray

Holy. Hell. Read. This. Book.


I don't know what I expected, based on the blurb and the reviews but My God, I never wanted this story to end.

Brandon is a young high school drop out, looking to create music. He is in a band with his brother and some friends, and looking for their big break. And a dependable lead singer. Oh, and yeah, Brandon is in the closet, afraid his family will find out he likes boys, and scared as hell to do anything about it.

Nicholas is a boy with a golden voice, certain to be a star with his charismatic stage appeal and beautiful voice.

When Brandon sees him in a high school performance, he immediately falls in love.

This wonderfully written story jumps back and forth for over ten years of ups and down and drama.

This book SANG for me. I loved both boys, but Brandon, my God, I wanted to just take him away and cradle him and make it all better for him. Ms. Gray created a thing of beauty here - I was in awe as the story unfolded and this boy just...broke and bled and stole my breath and my heart. Nicholas is a wonderful character, and the book would not be what it is without him, but Holy Christ, Brandon...

I am usually not a crier - but this book MOVED me in so many ways.

Get it. Read it. Treasure it.

Tom

3 comments:

  1. Oh god Tom you don't know how happy I am to read this review :DD

    I have recommended this book to so many people who have all said they didn't enjoy it, or they didn't get the same thing I did. I thought it was a beautifully told story and is still in my top 5 favourite books.

    It is Brandon that makes the story so powerful for me. His self sacrifices for his love struck a very powerful chord in me and i literally shed tears for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the first books I read in this genre, and although I've read hundreds since then, "A Red Tainted-Silence," has stuck with me as an all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on it and red conflicting reviews, but something about it just called to me. And as I was reading it, I just kept thinking, WOW, can it get any better than this?! I agree - I think it's one of my top 10 favorites!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete