Thursday, November 10, 2011

"The Night Porter"

Review - "The Night Porter" by Sue Brown

Broke my heart - bittersweet

Hugely Recommended


I bought this book tonight knowing it was part of the Bittersweet Dreams selections. Did not prepare me to care about the characters. Understand them and love/hate them both a litte. I guess having both loved and had my heart broken a few times by both gay and straight men I can identify with the stark reality Ms. Brown deals us with such a deft hand.

The emotional tone reminds me of Brokeback Mountain and I consider that to be high praise. Not every ending is happy and sometimes hearts need to be broken to remind us to feel everything good AND bad.

Thanks Ms. Brown. I needed bittersweet chocolate tonight. Well written and well done.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment